Organic Vegetable and Flower Gardens
With Spring comes gardening fever! We’re all anxious to begin planting so that we can reap what we sew (literally!). There are a number of various plants that will naturally ward off bugs that could potentially cause damage to your vegetables or flowers. In turn, you will end up using less chemicals and make both your yard and food safer. Here are a few plants to consider if you are looking to plant an organic garden in Arizona.
- Bay Plant: wards off moths, caterpillars and ants.
- Chives: wards off crickets, aphids and borers.
- Garlic: wards off aphids, grasshoppers and crickets. This the ideal plant to place around roses, in your vegetable garden and around your fruit trees.
- Basil: resists flies, caterpillars and mosquitoes.
- Marigold: wards off crickets, slugs, aphids, caterpillars, grasshoppers and white flies.
- Onions: wards off ants, aphids, borers, moths, crickets, and grasshoppers.
- Rosemary: resists insects including fleas, mosquitoes, moths, beetles, crickets, and grasshoppers.
- Sage: wards off mice and repels crickets, moths, and grasshoppers.
- Thyme: wards off flies, white flies and cabbage worms.